Nepal Electricity Authority / Distribution Directorate


NEA board made decision to change the various business groups of NEA in to Directorates, as per which the Distribution and Consumer Services (DCS) Business Group was also changed to DCS Directorate (DCSD). DCSD is responsible for overall management of electricity distribution services and networks of NEA. The major activities of this directorate include planning, expansion, operation, maintenance and rehabilitation of the electricity distribution networks including substations up to 33 kV voltage level and consumer services activities such as new consumer connections, meter reading, billing, and revenue collection. The directorate has lately introduced some of the smart meter reading and billing techniques as a pilot projects in the Kathmandu valley with plans to introduce even better techniques and expand them in the entire areas. The operation and maintenance of off grid small hydro power plants in its area, also falls under the jurisdiction of this directorate. There are Planning and Technical
Services Department (PTSD) and Community Rural Electrifi cation Department (CRED) at the central level and eight regional offi ces to manage the overall distribution and consumer services activities in more effective and effi cient manner under this directorate.

Under the directorate, PTSD & CRED at the centre and eight regional offi ces are headed by the Directors/chiefs.

DCSD is the largest directorate of NEA in terms of number of employees and business activities. Approximately 67% of the total staff of NEA is employed in DCSD. This is also on the forefront to earn revenue for sustaining operation, maintenance and development activities of NEA. DCSD is providing services to consumers through its 109 Distribution Centers spread over the whole country.


Departments


Planning and Technical Services Department

The Planning and Technical Services Department (PTSD) is responsible for planning and preparation of distribution system expansion programs and supporting DCSD in the technical and commercial matters. Major works under this department
include-

  • Identification of potential rural electrification and substation rehabilitation projects and implement them
  • Programming/re-programming, data download and analysis of TOD energy meters & metering equipments
  • Monitoring and evaluation of region wise monthly distribution system losses. Assist to identify and implement programs for loss reduction in distribution systems
  • Initiate modern facilities for the electricity consumers in the field of meter reading, billing and revenue collection
  • Plans to execute distribution planning incorporating demand side management and loss reduction as an integral part of it

COMMUNITY RURAL ELECTRIFICATION DEPARTMENT

In order to expand the access of electricity services to the rural areas on the demand driven approach, the Government of Nepal (GoN) has brought forward Community Rural Electrifi cation Program (CREP) since 2003 which is being executed. NEA had established a separate Department “COMMUNITY RURAL ELECTRIFICATION DEPARTMENT (CRED)” to efficiently conduct the Community Rural Electrifi cation Program of GoN in 2003. Later on in 2010, CRED was dissolved in the process of restructuring of NEA and the activities of CREP were carried out through eight Regional Offi ces. However, the CREP activities were slowed down due to lack of coordination at center and regional level. On this background, CRED has been formed again in July 2013.

Under CREP, the GoN is contributing 90 % of the rural electrifi cation Cost through NEA and the Rural Electric Community (REC) is required to contribute remaining 10 % of the cost. NEA sells bulk power to the RECs and RECs are responsible for operation and management of electricity distribution within the area. NEA provides services up to 11 kV Line and the REC itself is responsible for 400/230 Volt Line. NEA, Community Rural Electrifi cation By-Law 2071 governs the activities of NEA, REC and CREP.